Last Wednesday, Nov 16th the Bennets hopped on a plane and headed for the original Surf City; Huntington Beach, CA. It was a quick, three night stay right on the beach and Pacific Coast Hwy 1 and a GREAT first family vacation.
The weather was a tad sketchy during our visit, with the temp hovering in the 60's most of the time. We did get a pretty good sunset on our last night there, and Jude got to get his feet wet in the ocean, so naturally, we took about 500 pictures (only a very slight exaggeration).
The first obstacle to maneuver was the plan ride there. It's a four hour flight from Chicago to Los Angeles. We did a lot of research beforehand, ensuring we carried on everything we might need to feed, clothe, hold and distract Jude. Thanks to our friends Jarod and Jessica Jostes for a great list of tips for traveling with baby as well as hot spots in SoCal.
Jude did fantastic on both flights. He got a two hour nap each way, and spent the rest of the time on our laps, playing with Mickey and learning how to use an iPad. It was a challenge at times keeping him preoccupied, but we had plenty of fruit and cheerios to satisfy him.
Some of the highlights for our trip:
- We stayed at the Hyatt Huntington Beach, which was fantastic. You could easily spend three or four days here and never even leave
- We ate at some great restaurants, including The Sugar Shack and No Ka Oi.
- We shopped it up on HB's Main Street, snagging some shirts for Jude to commemorate the trip
- We strolled along the famous Pier, and ate at Ruby's Diner, several hundred yards out into the Pacific Ocean
- The beach is great. It was a bit chilly while we were there, but it's beautiful all the same.
- We spent an afternoon in Hollywood, checking out the Walk of Fame, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Kodak Theatre, etc.
- We checked out Newport Beach, another neat little surf town with a great inner harbour
It was a great trip. We got back Saturday night and were also lucky enough to snag some Bears tickets for the game on Sunday. The Winter season is upon us, and with Thanksgiving just a day away, we remember that we are thankful to be able to spend this time with each other as a family, and for so much more.
Hot Diggity Dog! Posing with Mickey in Hollywood, and enjoying some brunch at Sugar Shack
Louis V? WawaWeewoo, and our Hotel Balcony, where we enjoyed wine and wearing robes. Ahh...
Family pic on the Pier. Enoying the Koi Pond beneath our hotel balcony
Boys rocking their shades
The view of a Pacific Ocean sunset is best viewed from a Baby Bjorn. Just ask Jude...
The long and winding road back home. Just killing some time at the airport. Note Jude's shirt here - yes, that is a Kangaroo with boxing gloves on.