Saturday, February 5, 2011

Good Friday

Last night Ashleigh and I did what we've come to doing a lot of on Friday evenings; we watched DVR'd episodes of Jeopardy, ate something microwavable, and stared at Jude for about 4 hours using words like "precious" and "perfect." Parenthood.

Then, as we're laying in bed, Ash feeding Jude for the last time before we try to sneak in a couple hours of sleep, I hold the computer on my lap and scroll through Ashleigh's favorite gossip sites so she can see the latest scuttlebutt around Hollywood. There are a lot of sacrifices I knew I would be making, having to look at Perez Hilton was not one of them. Love.

Other things have been changing too. The first couple weeks Jude was here I just about washed the fingerprints off my hands. I've always been a wash-often kind of guy, because I dread being sick, but because of Baby I've taken to washing my hands just about every 5 minutes.....or at least I did. 

Babies are a little like the remote control in a hotel room. At first you'll barely touch it, and when you do you wash up right before and after, then after a while you're just like "ah, screw it", and grab the thing. Or, if you're like me, you put a kleenex in between the buttons and your hand (or in this case, a swaddle blanket). Issues.

It's a similar situation with the pacifier. At first, if the tip of the pacifier touched any surface I was boiling water while wearing rubber gloves to sanitize that thing. Now, as long as it hasn't been in Max's mouth I pretty much just give it a good blow and we're back in business.

So things have changed, and we've adapted like I knew we would. Friday nights are still entertaining, just in a different way. Bottles of milk replace bottles of wine. A garbage can with empty bottles now has full diapers. Most of our conversations are dominated by things like poop color, when was the last feeding and which boob was it? But honestly, all that change is good. We are where we are because we wanted to be and that is a great place to be.

And that brings me to now; Saturday morning, sitting in the kitchen, drinking coffee, listening to the Harry Potter Soundtrack and writing this post. Some things never change, and I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Love the commentary JB :) eloquently spoken as a new daddy. I'm glad your OCD tendencies loosened up over time w/the Judester...that's got to be less stressful on you ;) Sounds like u 2 are really enjoing this transition! It was SO good to meet him this week, what an adorable little boy you have. Lucky.
    -Ali

    ReplyDelete